Santo Daime Biographies
The biography of Mestre Irineu cannot be summed up so easily.
- Mestre Irineu
The Companions of Mestre Irineu
The four companions of Mestre Irineu are considered to be Germano Guilherme, João Pereira, Maria Damião and Antônio Gomes.
They are sometimes mistaken as being called the “finados” in the English speaking Santo Daime world. This is because on “Dia de Finados” (All Souls Day – November 2nd) we sing their hinarios. We also sing their hinarios for the work that is held on Good Friday in the spring.
- Germano Guilherme (joined Mestre in 1928 – Hinário: Vós Sois Baliza)
- Antonio Gomes (joined Mestre in 1938 – (Hinário: O Amor Divino))
- Maria Damião (joined Mestre in 1931 – (Hinário: O Mensageiro))
- Joao Pereira (joined Mestre in 1931 – Hinário: Seis de Janeiro)
First Period Followers of Mestre Irineu
The end of the 20s and the 30s – the arrival of the first followers and the creation of the Santo Daime doctrine at Vila Ivonete, AC.
- Percília Matos (Hinário: Bandeira de paz)
- Peregrina Gomes Serra (Hinário: A Bandeira)
- Raimundo Gomes (Hinário: O Ramalho)
- Leôncio Gomes (The sucessor of Mestre in the presidency)
- Daniel Pereira de Matos (that would become the founder of Barquinha)
Second Period Followers of Mestre Irineu
1940s and 1950s – move to the location today known as Alto Santo; introduction of musical instruments in the ritual and the marriage with Mrs. Peregrina, his final wife.
- Francisco Grangeiro (Hinário Flor de Jagube)
- João Pedro (Hinário Menino Jesus)
- Daniel Arcelino Serra (Mestre’s nephew)
- Raimundo Ferreira (known as “seu” Loredo)
- Júlio Chaves Carioca
Third Period Followers of Mestre Irineu
1960s and the early 1970s – the last of Mestre’s measures on Earth; the passage of Germano Guilherme, his first follower and the last of the Companions to die; the arrival of the last followers, the receiving of the “New Hymns” and the final improvements in the liturgy.
- Wilson Carneiro – (Hinário: Chave de Ouro)
- Francisco Fernando Filho – Tetéu (Hinário: O Assessor)
- Luiz Mendes do Nascimento – (Hinário: O Centenário)
- Sebastião Mota de Melo – (Hinário: O Justiceiro)
- Rita Gregório de Melo – (Hinário: Lua Branca)
- Sebastião Jaccoud (apparently the only follower from the south – southwest
- region to meet with Mestre Irineu)
- Maria Brilhante – (Hinário: Estrela Brilhante)
- Manoel Corrente – (Hinário: Caboclo Guerreiro, made of offered hymns)